The Palazzo Pubblico, also known as Government Building, is the institutional heart of San Marino since it is the place where the sessions of the local Parliament take place. It is also the building where the representatives of all the States with which San Marino has diplomatic and friendly relations meet the Captains Regent.
It was built in 1894 in a Neogothic style on the foundations of the former Domus Magna Comunis. The Palazzo Pubblico was restored by famous architect Gae Aulenti on the centennial anniversary of its construction.
Inside the Room of the Great and General Council is the large tempera painting by Emilio Retrosi named “San Marino appears to his people”. It is in this Room that the final stage of the ceremony of investiture of the Captains Regent takes place on 1 April and 1 Ocotber every year.
Out of curiosity: inside the buildind and on its façade you can see over 200 symbols… Come and find them all with one of our guided tours!
Leave a Review